Playing shadowbane

Everyone can talk here.
Dantien

Playing shadowbane

Post by Dantien » Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:10 am

Picked up shadowbane, gonna play it a while see if i like it
so far i have mixed impressions about it.

Im not sold on a server but the one i picked to learn on is call Treachery
The chars im messing with are named Dante and Arimis
Come say hi if you want.

l8r
Dantien

Sineath

Post by Sineath » Thu Mar 27, 2003 12:47 pm

Playing on Mourning with a toon called Jimmy The Hand. Horrible time subscribing to the game. Crashed like 10 times the first hour until I turned all the graphics down to pretty much the lowest settings. Graphics suck but they're features and commands are pretty awsome. Giving it a month to decide if its any good. Made lvl 6 last night. Just playing it because its new. Still waiting for SWG. Oh, I have some nice freezes while playing when I travel. Heard its ok if you don't have an ATI card or Windows 98 SE.

Rodann

Post by Rodann » Thu Mar 27, 2003 10:24 pm

Looks like teh suck in the screenies I saw but lemme know if yall think its any good maybe Ill buy and fuck around a lil bit.

edit: (Dantien is noob etc.)
Rodann Infidel Emerald Ridere
Lewt bish since 11/01

Dantien

Post by Dantien » Fri Mar 28, 2003 7:34 am

I dont know what screenshots you saw, but the graphics imo are superior to daocs, at least pre-si. The game itself so far is very similar to daoc, though the controls are much differnt and take a while to get used too.

Its very easy to get up to level 10 in about 2 hrs. From what ive seen
the world is huge, but doesnt have much population in mobs yet, ie cursed forest and bog of cullen at release.

Dont know much about the levels past 10 yet, or the rvr aspect of it, which is why will take a few weeks to get a better impression.

Anyways if you have it and wanna try it with me and zaketh, saw deathblade for a bit too, then come to Treachery and look for dante or arimis or telemon.

Dantien

Sineath

Post by Sineath » Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:37 pm

I'm returning it today. Its just not playable. I survived UO, EQ, AO, DAoC and maybe 14 MMORPG Betas. But, Shadowbane is just not playable on a P3 800, Win 98SE, Cable Modem, Radeon 7500(Shadowbane requires you to change your drivers to outdated drivers...unbelievable), Cable Modem, 40 gig hard drive.

Anyways, the game uses technology that is 4 years old.

Looks like someone made it in their spare time.

There's so many windows that its hard to use the mouse to move your toon(I can't imagine doing this during pvp).

It has many features but some are screwed up(everytime you want to check a group member or stranger's class/level, you have to type /who then a window pops up for you to fill out the name information).

I do like the diversity but some abilities/disciplines/CLASSES are just so overpowered(channeler or scout) or gimped(warlock or bard), its rediculous.

I played a thief to lvl 15 named Jimmy The Hand. I wanted to try out tracking before I quit but don't have the time.

Thurigan

Post by Thurigan » Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:54 pm

Seems alot of mixed reviews about this game, peeps either hate it cause they have problems with it or they love it. The customer review section @ Ebgames.com give it a pretty hight rating overall though. Still most peeps either hate it or love it.
Thurigan level 50 skinny Elf Champ wannabe
Sumigo level 50 Warden

Mitch

Post by Mitch » Fri Mar 28, 2003 5:31 pm

Ive been playing SB myself a bit lately.

First off, SB is at best, barely playable on win 98. You must have WIN ME or XP for it to run.

Server lag is pretty awful, you will move around and then reappear where you were 30 seconds ago, or just lock up for like 10 seconds.

PnC movement takes a bit to get used to, but its not a twitch based game like DAoC or Quake, so thats OK.

There is a lot to SB, with diffrent races, trainable skills and such, frankly its almost too much... without a template in hand from a skilled beta player, you are pretty much guarnteed to gimp you character. On the other hand, the book that comes with the game is pretty accurate, if a bit vague at times, unlike the DAoC manual, which is probably the worst manual that I have ever seen, it caused more harm than good.

The graphics are fine. I hear people crying about the gfx, but buy a vid card made in this century and they look fine. I have a geforce 3 and run at 1280X1024 and they look pretty good. On par with classic DAoC. Not AC2 quality but AC2 shows that it takes more that pretty gfx to make a game.

I'm still in newb land, so I dont know if the regular lands are just a gank-fest ala Andred or Mordred, so I dont know about that apect of it.

So far, my biggest gripe is the lack of monsters to fight. Not quite as bad as UO, but there is a lot of wandering around looking for a fight, camps are not laid out in any sence of order and most of the world that I have seen is empty. That and the only way to follow someone is to be in a group, then toggle following, then set a formation, then go. Ugh. Would it really have been so hard to have a button called 'follow' so you can click on someone and then click follow? Apperently so.

Well that my review of it so far, I will be playing it for most of this weekend, so I will have more comments then.
Mitch LovesBrihalla - Lvl 50 Arrow Fumbler (retired)

"Well, I'm gonna open my own amusement park! With blackjack! And hookers!"

Krakajak

Post by Krakajak » Sun Mar 30, 2003 2:55 pm

The game is diffrent ill give it that for sure
I have a lev almost 40 char and it seems the game gets alot better at higher level

The first 10 level= boring!
The first 20= you dunno what the hell your doing and miss daoc
After 30= starts to get intresting as your char starts to get some nice abilities
Around 40= starts to get intresting as every one is a potential pker and you really don t know who is who and biulding towns is cool and fighting groups seems to be alot of fun when you work out what your fighting and what your play style is like........

On top of that no ones char is the same in this game theres 100s of ways to spec a char making you very much indevidual...

(some spelling may suck its late i hope this helped)
Krakajak 50 Hero
Warclone 50 Valewalker
Bonfesti 50 Druid
Silvano 50 Mentalist (1003 spellcraft)
Necrotic 50 Eldy
Wizekrax 50 Shade
Tinytoon 50 Hero
Damager 50 chant
Froggy 50 Bard RR5 (1000 armourcraft)

Dantien

Post by Dantien » Sun Mar 30, 2003 10:59 pm

Didn't know they had fins 4 in sb

Britanny Spirits

Post by Britanny Spirits » Mon Mar 31, 2003 12:17 am

ROFL
Britanny Spirits
50 Celtic Bard
*RETIRED*

Sineath

Post by Sineath » Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:23 pm

hehe (fins 4)

Kraka, what name/server, you playing on?

Blayven Bluntz

Post by Blayven Bluntz » Mon Mar 31, 2003 6:49 pm

I recently been playing shadowbane as well. Started playing on the war server and the game at first was depressing because of the way you move around (diablo style). But it actually works out pretty good and the game has alot more content then camelot has now. Graphics blow, remind me of first days of eq going live but who cares as long as the game play is fun. I'm not gonna be playing there for good just got bored of daoc and wanted something to hold me off till i get the urge to log back in again. My character there is Blayzen Bluntz my original name here in hib land and I play a 21 channeler.

Sineath

Post by Sineath » Mon Mar 31, 2003 7:59 pm

My home comp just can't take the crashes, but I can't return the game, so EB tells me. So, I'm playing till my first free month runs out. Currently, Jimmy The Hand, lvl 22 Thief on Mourning Server. I picked mourning because the word appealed to me more than the other names...don't know why. But, turns out thats the non-official roleplaying server and talk about over populated,sheesh. I picked a thief because of my time in UO, that was the biggest griefer class and I wanted to keep my options in the game open. :twisted:

Turns out that I feel that an honest thief is needed to keep group members honest. I always check everyone's gold and write it down so when someone dies and their gold dissapears I can find out who did it. I make that public knowledge which has kept my groups very honest. Now, that I'm living in KC, I have to find my trainer, learning the stealing skill, find players willing to group with me, and find the low 20s camping area.

Again, my comp keeps screaming and gagging the name AO over and over and over while I play but I'm temporarily ignoring its whining.

Blayven Bluntz

Post by Blayven Bluntz » Mon Mar 31, 2003 10:46 pm

I havent been into a group yet where people dont loot their own group members corpses if they die lol. Good game if you wanna laugh.

Sineath

Post by Sineath » Tue Apr 01, 2003 1:06 pm

Switched to Windows 2000 Professional last night and it got rid of ever problem I've had with SB. Didn't have any freezes, lockups, or crashes last night during a high population time on Mourning. I can't play in anything other than the 600 x 800 mode, though. But the improvement in performance is so noticeable that I'm actually enjoying myself. I was so amazed to see the land around me actually load up when I travel. In the past, I'd travel, the land wouldn't load, I'd have to quit the game and restart. Also, when I quit before, I'd have to wait about 5 to 10 minutes before it'd quit, now its instantaneous.